Refund Request Accounting Revenue
In order to qualify for a cancellation refund, it must be intended that:
- Must have previous year registration in same name.
- Vehicle could not have been operated after the sticker display date.
- If the vehicle was operated anytime into the new registration year no refund is due.
- There are no refunds on title and registration transactions.
- If title and registration fees were paid twice, please read instructions for duplicate reason.
Required documents to be returned: The confirmation page provided after the request is submitted or email confirmation should be returned with any other documents mentioned on the confirmation page. Sticker and/or License plate on which a refund is requested.
In order to qualify for a duplicate refund, one of the following must be true
- Two full registration fees paid for the same license plate.
- Two different license plates registered to the same vehicle.
- The sticker and or plate which is duplicated must not have been in use for any amount of time.
Required documents to be returned: The confirmation page provided after the request is submitted or email confirmation should be returned with any other documents mentioned on the confirmation page. Proof that payment was made twice by providing canceled checks and or financial documents. Sticker and/or License plate along with photocopy of registration card used on vehicle.
As you complete the process of filing a refund, please keep these important matters in mind.
- Please double check any entries for correctness.
- Refund requests which are submitted more than six month from the transaction date will be referred to the Court of Claims Claims only after it is determined that a refund is due.
- Keep a copy of all information submitted to this office.
- Be aware that this is only a request and not a final approval for a refund.
Processing and acknowledgement
Once you have completed the steps for a refund, the information will be reviewed by a specialist from the Department of Accounting Revenue, Refunds Division. A receipt will be sent to your email address once all documentation is received by our office.
You may call our office at 217-782-4908 during normal workdays between 8a.m.-4:30p.m. A trained specialist will be glad to help you with any problems or concerns relating to the Refund Request process.
This box must be checked to proceed