Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) System Illinois State Archives
Adams County Courthouse
507 Vermont St.
Quincy, IL 62301
217-277-2150 – County Clerk
217-277-2100 – Circuit Clerk
217-277-2126 – Recorder
Western Illinois University
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455-1390
- January 13, 1825 (Laws, 1825, p. 93)
Origin of the name of the county
- Named after John Quincy Adams, sixth President of the United States, and not for John Adams, second President, as is sometimes stated.
Present area, or parts of it, formerly included in
- 1821–1825 – Pike
- 1812–1821 – Madison
- 1795–1812 – St. Clair
- 1825–present – Quincy
History of county governing board
- 1825–1850 – County Commissoners’ Court
- 1850–present – County Board of Supervisors
Documented Record Losses
- December 9, 1835 – Fire. Some records lost or damaged.
- Adopted – November 6, 1849
- Camp Point
- Concord – Name changed from Jackson in June, 1850.
- Fall Creek – Name changed from Benton in June, 1850.
- Gilmer – Name changed from Dover in June, 1850
- Honey Creek
- Lima – Name changed from Lafayette in June, 1850.
- McKee – Date of establishment uncertain.
- Mendon – Date of establishment uncertain.
- Richfield – Name changed from Richland in June, 1850.
- Riverside – Date of establishment uncertain.