Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) System Illinois State Archives
Clinton County Courthouse
850 Fairfax St.
Carlyle, IL 62231
618-594-2464, Ext. 630 – County Clerk
618-594-2464, Ext. 620 – Circuit Clerk
618-594-2464, Ext. 630 – Recorder
IRAD—c/o Records Management
Morris Library, Mail Code 6808
Southern Illinois University
1835 University Press Dr.
Carbondale, IL 62901-6808
- December 27, 1824 (Laws, 1825, p. 27)
Origin of the name of the county
- Named for DeWitt Clinton, a distinguished lawyer, financier and statesman, Mayor of the city and Governor of the State of New York, United States Senator and chief promoter of the Erie Canal.
Present area, or parts of it, formerly included in
- 1818–1824 – Washington
- 1803–1813 – Randolph
- 1790–1818 – St. Clair
- 1825–present – Carlyle
History of county governing board
- 1824–1849 – County Commissioners’ Court
- 1849–1874 – County Court
- 1874–present – County Board of Supervisors
- Adopted – November 4, 1873
- Brookside – Name changed from Crooked Creek on June 1, 1874.
- Clement – Formed from Carlyle (no date).
- East Fork – Name changed to Morris on June 1, 1874 and then back to East Fork (no date).
- Lake – Formed from part of Crooked Creek (Brookside) (no date).
- Looking Glass
- Santa Fe – Formed from part of Germantown and Carlyle (no date).
- St. Rose
- Sugar Creek – Name changed from Trenton on June 1, 1874.
- Wade – Formed from part of Carlyle.
- Wheatfield – Name changed from Beaver on June 1, 1874.