ILLINOIS STATE ARCHIVES
Jasper County Office Bldg.
204 West Washington St., Ste. 2
Newton, IL 62448
Jasper County Courthouse
100 W. Jourdan St.
Newton, IL 62448
600 Lincoln Ave.
Eastern Illinois University
Charleston, IL 61920
- February 15, 1831 (Laws, 1831, p. 51)
- County organization was completed on December 19, 1834.
Origin of the name of the county
- Named for William Jasper, a Sergeant of the American Revolution who, during the action in Charleston harbor, replaced the flag shot away at Fort Moultrie, and later was killed at Savannah in 1779.
Present area, or parts of it, formerly included in
- 1816–1831 — Crawford
- 1824–1821 — Clay
- 1815–1816 — Edwards
- 1812–1815 — Madison
- 1803–1812 — Randolph
- 1801–1812 — St. Clair
- 1790–1801 — Knox, Northwest Territory
- 1835–present — Newton
History of county governing board
- 1834–1849 — County Commissioners’ Court
- 1849–1860 — County Court
- 1860–present — County Board of Supervisors
- Adopted — November 8, 1859
Note: Jasper County approved township organization on November 6, 1849, and the County Court even appointed commissioners to divide the county into townships, but this organization was never completed. The commissioners’ report of 1850 divided the county into six townships (see below).
Township Names under 1859 Organization
- Crooked Creek
- Fox — Created from western part of Ste. Marie (date unknown, before 1901).
- Grove — Name changed from Union in September, 1860.
- Hunt City — Formed from Willow Hill, Crooked Creek and Grandville on September 11, 1901.
- North Muddy
- Sainte Marie
- South Muddy
- Wade — Name changed from Newton in September, 1860.
- Willow Hill
Township Names under the 1849 Failed Organization
- Island Grove — Corresponds approximately to present day Grove.
- Marion — Corresponds approximately to present day Crooked Creek.
- Muddy — Corresponds to present day North and South Muddy.
- North Fork— Corresponds approximately to present day Grandville.
- Polk — Corresponds approximately to present day Willow Hill.
- Sainte Marie — Included present day Ste. Marie and Fox.