Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) System Illinois State Archives
Massac County Courthouse
1 Superman Sq.
Metropolis, IL 62960
618-524-5213 – County Clerk
618-524-9359 – Circuit Clerk
618-524-5213 – Recorder
IRAD—c/o Records Management
Morris Library, Mail Code 6808
Southern Illinois University
1835 University Press Dr.
Carbondale, IL 62901-6808
- February 8 and March 3, 1843 (Laws, 1843, p. 74, 101)
Origin of the name of the county
- Fort Massiac was built by the French in 1757, during the French and Indian War and was originally called "Fort de l’Ascension." The name was changed in 1759, to honor of Claud Louis d'Espinchal, Marquis de Massiac, the French Naval Minister.
Present area, or parts of it, formerly included in
- 1816–1843 – Pope
- 1812–1843 – Johnson
- 1795–1812 – Randolph
- 1790–1801 – Knox, Northwest Territory
- 1843–present – Metropolis
History of county governing board
- 1843–1849 – County Commissioners’ Court
- 1849–1873 – County Court
- 1873–present – Board of County Commissioners
- Massac County has never adopted township form of government. The county has been divided into precincts.
- Georges Creek