ILLINOIS STATE ARCHIVES
324 Main St.
Peoria, IL 61602
309-672-6059 — County Clerk
309-672-6000 — Circuit Clerk
309-672-6090 — Recorder
Western Illinois University
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455-1390
- January 13, 1825 (Laws, 1825, p. 85)
Origin of the name of the county
- Named for the Indian tribe called the Peorias, one of the tribes from the Illinois confederacy.
Present area, or parts of it, formerly included in
- 1823–1825 — Fulton
- 1821–1823 — Pike
- 1817–1821 — Bond
- 1812–1821 — Madison
- 1801–1812 — St. Clair
- 1825–present — Peoria
History of county governing board
- 1825–1850 — County Commissioners’ Court
- 1850–present — County Board of Supervisors
- Adopted — November 6, 1849
- City of Peoria — Organized in December, 1907, from parts of the original township of Peoria and Richwoods.
- Kickapoo — Name changed from Orange (date unknown, probably 1850).
- Medina — Name changed from Franklin (date unknown, probably 1850).
- Radnor — Name changed from Benton to Fremont and then to Radnor (dates unknown, probably 1850).
- Richwoods — Part of Richwoods was given to Town of the City of Peoria when it was organized in 1907.
- West Peoria — Designation given to that part of the original township of Peoria not given to the Town of the City of Peoria in 1907. (See City of Peoria above.)