ILLINOIS STATE ARCHIVES
#1 Taylor St.
Chester, IL 62233
618-826-5000, ext. 191 — County Clerk
618-826-5000, ext. 194 — Circuit Clerk
618-826-5000, ext. 191 — Recorder
Morris Library, Mail Code 6808
Southern Illinois University
1835 University Press Dr.
Carbondale, IL 62901-6808
- October 5, 1795 (By proclamation of Arthur St. Clair, St. Clair Papers, Vol. 2, p. 345.)
Origin of the name of the county
- Named for Edmund Randolph, a soldier of the American Revolution, a lawyer and statesman, member of the Continental Congress, Attorney General and Governor of Virginia, Secretary of State of the United States and Attorney General under Washington.
Present area, or parts of it, formerly included in
- 1790–1803 — St. Clair (Northern section of Randolph County.)
- 1790–1795 — St. Clair
- 1795–1847 — Kaskaskia
- 1847–present — Chester
History of county governing board
- 1795–1806 — Court of Quarter Sessions
- 1806–1809 — Court of Common Pleas
- 1809–1811 — County Court
- 1811–1814 — Court of Common Pleas
- 1814–1818 — County Court
- 1818–1819 — Justices’ Court
- 1819–1849 — County Commissioners’ Court
- 1849–1873 — County Court
- 1873–present — Board of County Commissioners
- Randolph County has never adopted township form of government. The county has been divided into precincts.
- Ellis Grove
- Prairie du Rocher
- Wine Hill