ILLINOIS STATE ARCHIVES
The Illinois and Michigan Canal, 1827–1911
A Selection of Documents from the Illinois State Archives
LETTER FROM WILLIAM GOODING TO G.W. GREEN CONCERNING THE CANAL'S COMPLETION
February 9, 1848
George W. Green was the supervising engineer for the Western Division and he was based at Ottawa. William Gooding, located at Lockport, was the chief engineer for the entire project. Edward B. Talcott was Gooding's main assistant. Hardy, Grubb, and Frost were contractors. Lock 14 was located at La Salle. Reference to Isaac Hardy also is found in document 17, document 18, and document 34.
By early February 1848 the push was on to see the job done. Legislation passed in 1843 stipulated that if the canal were not functioning within three years from the date the $1,600,000 loan had been fully subscribed to, then all canal property would revert from the trustees to the state. The loan had been fully engaged by May 27, 1845. May 27, 1848 then was the deadline date. The trustees had no desire to suffer the indignity of failing in their duty to the loan's subscribers.
Points to Consider
What specifically did William Gooding want G.W. Green to do?
What is a quoin?
What was the purpose of a lock?
Why was William Gooding pressing urgency?