LP/LLP Search — Certificate of Existence/Authorization
- You may search the LP/LLP Database by file number or name.
- You can view a File Detail Report on a limited partnership or limited liability partnership, obtain a Certificate of Existence/Authorization on an existing entity, or conduct a preliminary search on the availability of a new limited partnership name. The database is updated in Real Time.
- Expedited processing fees are assessed on LP transactions.
For more information, please call the Department of Business Services at 217-782-6961 or complete the Business Services contact form.
File Detail Report
- The File Detail Report on a limited partnership or limited liability partnership includes the most commonly requested information on the business entity.
- Information provided: exact name, date of formation or registration in Illinois, jurisdiction, duration or expiration date, and name and address of the agent for service of process.
- The report also indicates whether the entity is in good standing.
LP Certificate of Existence/Authorization
- From the File Detail Report of a domestic limited partnership or limited liability partnership, you may purchase a Certificate of Existence.
- From the File Detail Report of a foreign limited partnership or limited liability partnership, you may purchase a Certificate of Authorization.
- You may immediately print the certificate after the purchase has been completed.
- Payment of the $47 fee for a Certificate of Good Standing may be made by Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.
LLP Certificate of Existence/Authorization
- Payment of the $27 fee may be made by Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.
Limited Partnership Name Availability
- You also may conduct a preliminary check of the availability of a proposed new limited partnership name.
- You will immediately learn if the proposed name is already in use by another limited partnership.
- The proposed new name must be distinguishable from any other limited partnership name on file with this office. A name is distinguishable, when not substantially the same as a name on record, and, when containing a significant difference from other names on the record which is plainly recognizable by the Secretary of State’s office.
- If the requested name is not currently in use, the search will result in no record being found.
- This database check is a preliminary check and final approval of name availability is determined by the Secretary of State’s office in compliance with Illinois Statutes.
For a preliminary check of name availability, please call 217-524-8008.
The Department of Business Services database includes information regarding corporations, not-for-profit corporations, limited partnerships, limited liability companies and limited liability partnerships, as well as, other business-related information. This database is provided to the public for individual searches only. The use of this website or database to copy or download bulk searches or information is prohibited. Pursuant to statute, the Department of Business Services offers information for sale. For contract information, please call 217-782-6961.
Please be advised that the information contained in this database is the property of the Office of the Secretary of State for the State of Illinois. Any unauthorized use of the database, unauthorized access, removal of data, copying or downloading of the database information is prohibited by criminal statutes, including the sections covering the offenses of computer tampering and aggravated computer tampering (720 ILCS 5/16D-3; 5/16D-4). Violators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.