Adopting an Assumed LLC Name
- The right to use an assumed name is effective from the date the application is filed by the Secretary of State’s office until the first day of the company's anniversary month in the next year evenly divisible by five. The assumed name may be renewed in five-year periods.
- Domestic and foreign limited liability companies that are in good standing may adopt an assumed name electronically.
- An LLC cannot adopt an assumed name electronically if it is not in good standing; has been dissolved, either voluntarily or administratively, has been revoked or effected a voluntary withdrawal, or has expired; or must execute the adoption through the use of layered signatures or by power of attorney. All documents executed by power of attorney must be accompanied by a copy of the authorization.
- All assumed name adoptions must be signed by a manager, or if there are no managers, by a member.
- $150 — for each year or part thereof ending in 0 or 5
- $120 — for each year or part thereof ending in 1 or 6
- $90 — for each year or part thereof ending in 2 or 7
- $60 — for each year or part thereof ending in 3 or 8
- $30 — for each year or part thereof ending in 4 or 9
- A $50 expedited fee is included because submissions are reviewed within 24 hours of receipt (excluding Saturday, Sunday and holidays).
- Each transaction also includes a 2.35% payment processor fee.
- Payment must be in the form of a credit card — Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express.
For more information, please e-mail the Department of Business Services or call 217-524-8008.