Skip Navigation


Filing a Claim

The Court of Claims is the court of exclusive jurisdiction for all claims filed against the State of Illinois.

  1. Please complete the relevant complaint form in its entirety; include your Social Security number or your Federal Employee Identification Number.
  2. If you are filing as an attorney, please complete the General Division Form.
  3. If you are represented by an attorney, also complete the appropriate section of the complaint form so that all correspondence may be directed to the attorney's office. An attorney is specifically not required to file a lapsed appropriation claim.
  4. However, please be advised that if the complainant is a corporation, that an officer of the company must file the complaint, and if a matter filed is an appeal, a corporation must be represented by counsel, and an attorney General Division Form must be filed at that time. Additionally, Information about the identity of the corporation must also be provided at the time of filing for all corporate claimants. However, any other claim may be filed with or without an attorney.
  5. Please sign the Complaint form. Be advised that all Complaints' must have their signatures notarized where it is so indicated on the Complaint forms.
  6. Finally, send the completed Complaint form along with check for the filing fee made payable to the order of Illinois Court of Claims and mail these items to :
    Illinois Court Of Claims
    630 S. College St.
    Springfield, IL 62756

Types of Claims

Rules and Statutes

For more information about filing a claim, please contact us at: or call 217-782-7101(Springfield) or 312-814-5010(Chicago), Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.