ILLINOIS STATE LIBRARY
Illinois Library Statutes and Administrative Rules
This page provides links to major laws and administrative rules relevant to the Illinois State Library and libraries in Illinois. The links to the text of the laws and rules provided on this website are intended for the convenience of interested persons. The information contained herein is updated on a regular basis but should not be considered a substitute for the appropriate official documents or the advice of legal counsel. The official version of the administrative rules are maintained and are available from the Administrative Code Division, Index Department of the Illinois Secretary of State's office.
- Chicago Public Library Act (75 ILCS 20)
- Illinois Library System Act (75 ILCS 10)
- Illinois Local Library Act (75 ILCS 5)
- Illinois State Library Act (15 ILCS 320)
- Illinois State Library Foundation Act (15 ILCS 321)
- Illinois Literacy Act (15 ILCS 322)
- Libraries in Parks Act (75 ILCS 65)
- Library Incorporation Act (75 ILCS 60)
- Library Property Sale Act (75 ILCS 55)
- Library Records Confidentiality Act (75 ILCS 70)
- Public Library District Act (75 ILCS 16)
- Township Library Bond Act (75 ILCS 35)
- Township Library Bond Validation (1963) Act (75 ILCS 25)
- Township Library Bond Validation (1969) Act (75 ILCS 30)
- Village Library Act (75 ILCS 40)
- Village Library and Gymnasium Tax Act (75 ILCS 50)
- Village Library Conversion Act (75 ILCS 45)
Administrative Rules (23 Ill. Adm. Code)
- Part 3010 Illinois State Library, Library Services Division
- Part 3020 Illinois State Library, Acquisitions Division, Illinois Documents Section
- Part 3030 The Illinois Library System Act
- Part 3035 Illinois State Library Grant Programs
- Part 3050 Public Library Non-Resident Services
Proposed Rules for the Illinois Library System Act
The Illinois State Library has filed proposed rules for the Illinois Library System Act (23 Ill. Adm. Code 3030). The proposed rules were filed on November 20, 2014 and are scheduled to be published in the Illinois Register on December 5, 2014. A direct link to the proposed rules will be provided when Volume 38, Issue 49 of the Illinois Register becomes available online.
In conjunction with the submission of new rules for the Illinois Library System Act, it is necessary to update all of the Illinois State Library’s administrative rules that refer to the System rules. The rules that are impacted by changes in the System rules are Illinois State Library, Operations Division (23 Ill. Adm. Code 3010), Illinois State Library Grant Program (23 Ill. Adm. Code 3035) and Public Library Non-Resident Services (23 Ill. Adm. Code 3050). The changes in the Illinois State Library Grant Program rules are an ongoing response to a request by the Joint Committee on Administrative Rules to streamline the grant rules.
The State Library anticipates that a public hearing on the proposed rules will be held in Springfield on January 14, 2015. The hearing will be a statewide video conference, allowing for public testimony at the video conference sites around the state to allow for maximum participation. Details on commenting at the public hearing, as well as submitting comments to the Illinois State Library, will be provided in E-News, the Illinois State Library's weekly newsletter.