ILLINOIS STATE LIBRARY
Libraries Very Interested in Sharing
Libraries Very Interested in Sharing (LVIS) represents the first global OCLC no charge Resource Sharing Group agreement. LVIS, which was established in 1993, began out of a shared goal of the Illinois State Library and the Missouri Library Network Corporation (MLNC) to encourage and provide greater opportunities for no charge resource sharing throughout the midwest region. During the first year, LVIS members included over 200 multi type libraries in Illinois and Missouri. There are now over 2,700 members, worldwide.
LVIS Member Listing
The LVIS member listing is provided for the convenience of LVIS group members. If there is a question regarding membership in the LVIS group, please consult OCLC's Policies Directory and look under Group Affiliations.
If you have questions regarding the above LVIS member list, please call 217-785-1537 or email email@example.com.
Participation in LVIS
To participate in LVIS, a library must agree to comply with the following resource sharing arrangement:
- Set holdings in WorldCat.
- Maintain supplier status in WorldCat Resource Sharing.
- Commit to resource sharing with all LVIS member.
- Provide loans of all circulating (returnable) items to LVIS members at no charge.
- Provide electronic copies, if possible.
- Provide photocopies for a maximum of 30 pages per bibliographic citation to LVIS members at no charge. (A cost recovery charge for photocopies exceeding the 30 pages limit is permissible and may be determined by the library.)
Benefits of LVIS Membership
- Greater work flow efficiency. Libraries can quickly and easily identify no charge libraries in OCLC, and therefore, streamline ILL transactions.
- Greater load leveling. LVIS encourages the strengthening of local ILL networks, which ultimately lessens the lending burden of major research libraries.
- Greater resource sharing alternatives. LVIS supplements the ILLINET ILL Code by providing a resource sharing option for those libraries that desire an overall no charge policy for ILL transactions.
- Broader ILL scope. LVIS expands the geographic ILL scope by encouraging interstate and international resource sharing.
Access to LVIS Data
LVIS participants access the groups holdings via OCLC WorldCat.
There is no charge to join LVIS. You may complete the LVIS Participation Agreement Form and return it via email as a PDF attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. You may also fax the completed form to 217-782-6062.