ILLINOIS STATE LIBRARY
Schools and Libraries Program of the Universal Service Fund (E-rate)
E-rate is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) under the direction of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and provides discounts to assist most schools and libraries in the United States to obtain affordable telecommunications and Internet access. Funding is requested under four categories of service: telecommunications services, Internet access, internal connections, and basic maintenance of internal connections. It is one of four support programs funded through a Universal Service fee charged to companies that provide interstate and/or international telecommunications services.
- Libraries must be eligible for assistance from a state library administrative agency under the Library Services and Technology Act (20 U.S.C. Chapter 72, Subchapter II).
- Libraries must have budgets completely separate from any schools (including, but not limited to, elementary and secondary schools, colleges and universities).
- Libraries cannot operate as for-profit businesses.
- File Form 470 and Conduct an Open Bidding Process
- Select the Most Cost-Effective Service Provider
- Calculate the Discount Level
- Submit Application for Support (Form 471)
- Schools and Libraries Division Reviews the Application
- Confirm Receipt of Services (Form 486)
- Invoice for Discounts (Form 472 or Form 474)
Applicants use the discount matrix below to determine the correct discount level for an individual school or library outlet.
Schools and Libraries
Schools and Libraries
|The discount level is measured by % of students eligible for the National School Lunch Program.||Discount Level:||Discount Level:|
|Urban Discount||Rural Discount||Urban Discount||Rural Discount|
|Less than 1%||20%||25%||20%||25%|
|1% to 19%||40%||50%||40%||50%|
|20% to 34%||50%||60%||50%||60%|
|35% to 49%||60%||70%||60%||70%|
|50% to 74%||80%||80%||80%||80%|
|75% to 100%||90%||90%||85%||85%|
- Illinois State Library E-rate Consortium: An Information Session Recorded January 27, 2015.
- E-rate Central
- E-rate Information from the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE)
- E-rate Modernization Order
- E-rate Organizer
- Illinois Counties Classified Rural for E-rate Purposes
- Illinois Free and Reduced-Price Meal Eligibility Data (contact your school district for the most recent data)
- USAC: Schools and Libraries (E-rate)
- USAC Schools and Libraries: News Briefs
If you have any questions about E-rate, please contact your library system E-rate consultant or call the State Library at 217-782-0974.