ILLINOIS STATE LIBRARY
Annual Library Certification Process
Library Certification Web Portal
The deadline for completing the annual online library certification is March 31, 2014.
- Library Certification Web Portal Available January 2, 2014 - March 31, 2014
Annual library certification is required of all library system members. As stated in the Illinois Library Laws & Rules, receiving grant funds from the Illinois State Library is contingent upon annual certification compliance. Illinois libraries “shall complete, on an annual basis, the certification process required for library system membership in order to apply for a grant” [23 Ill. Adm. Code 3035.135 (a)]. Examples of Illinois State Library grants include public and school library per capita grants, construction grants, and many others. Just as important, this also includes grants to library systems (RAILS, IHLS, and CPLS) that allow system member libraries to receive services such as delivery, resource-sharing, and communication.
The Illinois State Library’s annual certification process is accomplished through an online web form. Steps to complete the annual library system certification are summarized below:
- All library agencies, who wish to maintain library system membership, must complete the certification process between January 2 and March 31 of each year.
- Once submitted, regional library system boards will take action on the information supplied through the certification process to suspend non-compliant or non-certifying libraries. This action will occur at the April system board meeting. Notification of this action will then be sent to the Illinois State Library for final approval.
- Library system staff will continue to work with libraries to resolve issues through June 30 of each year.
- On July 1, the final, certified list of system members will be provided to the regional library systems by the Illinois State Library and State Librarian [23 Ill. Adm. Code 3030.35 or 3030.130 (c)]. Those libraries that remain on the certified list will continue to receive system services and can apply for appropriate ISL-supported grants.
- On an ongoing basis, libraries applying for ISL grants will be required to update any new contact information. Again, grants and system services will not be available for libraries that are not certified.
Membership in a Library System
Libraries that wish to join the regional library system and that meet membership criteria can be approved as regional library system members throughout the year. The member application process includes:
- Completion of a library system membership application,
- Review of the application by library system staff,
- Site visit by library system staff,
- Approval by System Board, and
- Final approval by the Illinois State Library.
Additional Information on the Library System Membership Application Process:
- Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS) Membership Application
- Illinois Heartland Library System (IHLS) Membership Criteria
- Annual Library Certification Data
- Annual Library Certification Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Annual Library Certification Timeline
- Membership in a Library System
- Annual Library Certification Process Webinar Recorded December 19, 2013
For more information about the annual library certification process, please call 217-782-1891 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.