ILLINOIS STATE LIBRARY
Annual Library Certification Process
Library Certification Web Portal
- The deadline for completing the online, annual library certification was March 31, 2013.
Beginning January 2, 2013, annual library system membership certification will be required of all library system members. As stated in the Illinois Library Laws & Rules, receiving grant funds from the Illinois State Library is contingent upon annual certification compliance. Illinois libraries "shall complete, on an annual basis, the certification process required for library system membership in order to apply for a grant" [23 Ill. Adm. Code 3035.135 (a)]. Examples of Illinois State Library funded grants include public and school library per capita, construction, as well as grants that allow members libraries to receive library system services, such as delivery and resource sharing.
The platform for the Illinois State Library's annual certification process is a Web portal for grant applications and reports. Throughout the year, member libraries can utilize this portal to update contact and other information as they apply for Illinois State Library funded grants. Steps toward library system certification are summarized below:
- All library agencies, who wish to maintain library system membership, must complete the certification process between January 2 and March 31 of each year.
- Once submitted, library system boards will take action on the information supplied through the certification process to officially accept compliant libraries or suspend non-compliant library members. This action will occur at the April system board meeting. Notification of this action will then be sent to the Illinois State Library for final approval.
- Library system staff will continue to work with libraries to resolve issues through June 30 of each year.
- On July 1, the final, certified list of system members will be presented by the regional library systems to the Illinois State Library and State Librarian [23 Ill. Adm. Code 3030.35 or 3030.130 (c)]. The final certified list of system members will remain eligible for system services and will be eligible to apply for appropriate Illinois State Library funded grants and maintain system membership and system services.
- On an ongoing basis, libraries applying for Illinois State Library grants will be required to update any new contact information. Again, grants and system services will not be available for libraries that are not certified.
New or Suspended Libraries
New member libraries or suspended libraries that wish to rejoin the regional library system and meet membership criteria can be approved as regional library system members throughout the year. The member application process includes:
- Completion of a library system membership application;
- Review of the application by library system staff;
- Site visit by library system staff;
- Approval by System Board; and
- Final approval by the Illinois State Library.
Additional Information on the Library System Membership Application Process:
- Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS) Membership Application
- Illinois Heartland Library System (IHLS) Membership Criteria
- Annual Library Certification Data
- Annual Library Certification Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Annual Library Certification Timeline
- Membership in a Library System
- Annual Library Certification Webinar Recorded December 2012
For more information about the annual library certification process, please call 217-782-1891 or email email@example.com.