ILLINOIS STATE LIBRARY
Adult New Reader Book Club Collections
What are Adult New Reader Book Clubs?
The Illinois State Library Secretary of State Literacy Office has developed nine book collections that are available to grantees to conduct adult new reader book clubs. Each book collection contains 20 copies of a title and a Discussion Leader Guide that contains background information about the author and book as well as discussion questions. Most titles also have an unabridged audio CD of the book. The book collections can be borrowed from the State Library for a period of time as requested by program staff.
What titles are available?
- An Invisible Thread by Laura Schroff
- The Barrio Kings by William Kowalski
- The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka
- The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
- Of Beetles & Angels by Mawi Asgedom
- The Other Wes Moore by Wes Moore
- The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis
- The Way It Works by William Kowalski
- Three Little Words by Ashley Rhodes-Courter
How do I borrow a book club collection?
The collections are shipped in nylon mail bags through the Illinois Library Delivery System (ILDS); therefore, shipping is free for the literacy program and the State Library. First, make arrangements with your local library to receive the book collection on your behalf. Next, contact the Literacy Office at 217-785-6922 or firstname.lastname@example.org and request the book collection you wold like to borrow. Include the following in your request:
- The name of the book club collection.
- Date you would like to receive it and the requested length of the loan.
- Contact person’s name and phone number at the library.
- Library name.
- Library system to send the book club collection.
How do I return a book club collection?
Via the ILDS at your library, ship the collection back to the Literacy Office within the approved loan period or request an extension prior to the due date. Repack as you received it and please replace any materials used or lost while you had the collection.