ILLINOIS STATE LIBRARY
Illinois Veterans History Project
The Illinois Veterans History Project was launched by Secretary of State Jesse White to create a permanent record of the names and stories of Illinois war veterans and civilians who served our state and country during war, so that their contributions will not be forgotten.
How to Participate
To participate in the Illinois Veterans History Project, veterans or their family members can obtain an Illinois Patriots Information Form from the Secretary of State's office.
Illinois Patriots Information Forms are available at driver services facilities throughout Illinois and at Illinois public libraries. Interested persons may also print their own copies by downloading a PDF version of the form in either Regular Print Format or Large Print Format.
Veterans or their family members can complete this form and share their remembrances on the back or on a separate sheet of paper. Those who participate will receive an Official Certificate of Appreciation for their participation in this project.
Additionally, participants may submit an oral recorded history that will be placed in the Illinois Digital Archives and the Library of Congress Veterans History Project.
Secretary White created the Illinois Veterans History Project after the United States Congress passed a law in 2000 authorizing the Library of Congress to collect and preserve the histories of American veterans and civilians who served in wars from World War I to the present.
Participation Forms and Kits
- Illinois Patriot Information Form Regular Print Version
- Illinois Patriot Information Form Large Print Version
- Library of Congress Veterans History Project Field Kit
- Library of Congress Veterans History Project Field Kit Companion Video (RealAudio)
- Illinois State Archives' Patriot Information System
- Illinois Veterans History Project Collection (Illinois Digital Archives)
- Illinois Veterans History Project Flyer
- Illinois Veterans History Project You Tube Channel
- Library of Congress Veterans History Project Website