LICENSE PLATES GUIDE
Charitable Vehicle license plates may be issued to a First Division vehicle transporting not less than seven passengers no more than ten passengers, or to any Second Division vehicle owned and operated by a religious or charitable not-for-profit organization and used primarily for conducting the official business of the organization. For purposes of the definition, when a van is equipped with wheelchair tie-downs, each tie-down may be counted as four passengers (625 ILCS 5/1-111.1a).
Charitable vehicle license plates must be titled and registered in the organization's name only and not in the name of an individual or individuals or in multiple ownership with an individual or in a leasing company.
FeesRandom-Number Charitable Vehicle License Plates
- Newly acquired vehicle/first-time issuance - $105 ($95 title fee + $10 registration fee)
- Currently titled vehicle/first-time issuance - $10 ($10 registration fee)
- Current plates expire within 90 days - $39 ($10 registration fee + $29 replacement fee)
- Current plates do not expire within 90 days - $39 ($10 registration fee + $29 replacement fee)
- Two Year renewal - $10 ($10 registration fee)
Please submit the following:
- Request for Charitable Vehicle plates
- Properly completed registration application
- Proof of ownership
- Proof of charitable or religious status
- Proper fee
- Apply in person or mail the proper documentation to:
Secretary of State
Vehicle Services Department
Non-Standard Plates Section
501 S. Second St., Rm. 541
Springfield, IL 62756
- Proof to verify the religious or charitable not-for-profit status. Please provide one of the following:
- Proof that the organization has filed as a not-for-profit charitable organization with the Attorney General's Office.
- A photocopy of the corporation charter as filed with the Secretary of State's Department of Business Services. Part 5 will be reviewed to verify the purpose of the organization.
- A photocopy of the Illinois Department of Revenue letter showing tax exempt status for charitable/religious reasons.
- Charitable Vehicle license plates are two-year (January 1 of even-numbered years - December 31 of odd-numbered years) and may be displayed on vans, trucks, buses (other than school buses) and trailers.
- Must be a not-for-profit charitable or not-for-profit religious in purpose organizations.
- Not available as Vanity or Personalized
- Not eligible for Circuit Breaker