LICENSE PLATES GUIDE
FeesRandom-Number Fire Chief License Plates
- Newly acquired vehicle/first-time issuance - $196 ($95 title fee + $101 registration fee)
- Currently titled vehicle/first-time issuance - $101 ($101 registration fee)
- Current plates expire within 90 days - $130 ($101 registration fee + $29 replacement fee)
- Current plates do not expire within 90 days - $29 ($29 replacement fee)
- Annual renewal - $101 ($101 registration fee)
- A letter from the municipality or fire protection district verifying the individual’s status as a fire chief must accompany the application.
- A letter also must be submitted annually with the registration renewal verifying the individual’s status as fire chief.
- The license plates must be surrendered when the person no longer serves as the fire chief.
The request can only be processed in Springfield. Apply in person or mail the proper documentation to:
Secretary of State
501 S. 2nd St.
Howlett Building, Rm. 520
Springfield, Illinois 62756
- Fire Chief license plates are multi-year and may be displayed on passenger vehicles, trucks and vans weighing 8,000 pounds or less and sport utility vehicles.
- Not available as Vanity or Personalized
- Not eligible for Benefit Access Program