Apply for Registration and Title Vehicle Services
The Electronic Registration and Title (ERT) System allows you to complete and print an Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190) online. Alternatively, you may obtain Title and Registration applications by visiting the nearest Secretary of State facility or call toll-free within Illinois: 1-(800) 252-8980.
By properly completing your vehicle title and registration applications, our office can process your request more quickly and efficiently. Title applications can be processed by mail or by visiting the nearest Secretary of State facility.
Applications to Complete
Use the Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190) for any plate-related transaction, i.e. title and plates, plates only, sticker only, title and transfer, transfer of plates only, corrected registration ID card or duplicate registration ID card.
Use the Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190) for any transaction for title without plates, i.e. title only (if the vehicle will not be operated); duplicate title; junking certificate, corrected title or salvage certificate.
For a corrected registration ID and corrected title, you must fill an Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190).
If you recently purchased and have not titled or registered the vehicle you are bringing into Illinois, you must complete a tax form. If purchased from a dealer, you must complete Tax Form RUT-25. If purchased from an individual, you must complete Tax Form RUT-50. One of these forms must be presented with a separate tax payment made out to the Illinois Department of Revenue at the time you apply for Title and Registration.
Double-check Your Information
- Make sure the vehicle information on the title is the same as on the application.
- Verify that the title is properly assigned from the seller to the buyer and that the buyer's name in the assignment area is the same as on the application.
- Be sure that the odometer reading is certified properly on the back of the title and that the date of sale is indicated.
- Check the vehicle identification number on the title with the number on the dash or door of the vehicle.
- Check if vehicle use tax must be paid. Tax must be paid on all vehicle sales between individuals. The amount of tax is based on the model year of the vehicle if the selling price is less than $15,000 or on the selling price if it is $15,000 or more.
- Indicate the number of the Temporary Registration Permit (TRP), if issued.
- Title and Registration - Tips for Properly Completing Your Applications
- Vehicle Title and License Plates for New Illinois Residents
You must submit your application, along with a fee of $95 for the title and any pertinent documentation, to the Secretary of State's Office. Registration fees are charged in addition to title fees. Applications will be returned if the information or fee is insufficient to process.
Secretary of State
Vehicle Services Department
501 S. 2nd. St., Room 014
Springfield, IL 62756
Find your nearest Secretary of State facility.
Vehicles Purchased From an Illinois Dealer
The dealer from whom you purchased your vehicle must submit the following items to the Secretary of State on your behalf:
- Sales Tax Transaction Return (form ST-556 Tax Form). Vehicles purchased from an Illinois dealer are subject to vehicle sales tax.
- Tax check made payable to Illinois Department of Revenue.
- Application for title and registration
- The surrender document
- Title and Registration fees (check made payable to Illinois Secretary of State)