Benefit Access Program Formerly Known as the Circuit Breaker Program
Parts of the Department on Aging's Benefit Access Program, formerly known as the Circuit Breaker Program, allows for the Secretary of State's office to provide for a reduced-fee license plates aimed toward senior citizens and persons with disabilities with specific qualifications.
- Applicants must first file a Benefit Access Program application on-line at the Illinois Department on Aging.
- Applicants will receive a mailing from the Illinois Department on Aging's office notifying them that they are eligible for reduced license plate fees.
- Discount applies to one set of the following plates per household per year: standard passenger car, B-truck, persons with disabilities, recreational vehicles weighing up to 8,000 pounds, and military license. Eligible Military License Plates
- View the Illinois Department of Aging Benefit Access Program Guidelines.
- After an applicant is accepted into the Illinois Department on Aging's program, the Illinois Secretary of State's Office is updated with the customer information and a Benefit Access discount control number is created. The Benefit Access Control Number Search will allow those that have been accepted into the program to identify their Benefit Access discount control number. The Benefit Access discount control number will be needed to receive your registration fee discount when purchasing license plates or a renewal sticker at an Illinois Secretary of State facility.
Receive Your Plate Discount
The Illinois Department on Aging's office sends eligible persons a notification after they are accepted into the Benefit Access program. When you buy license plates or renew your license plate sticker, you must submit the notification to verify that you are qualified for the discount. If you have already renewed your license plate sticker and paid full price, and are now part of the Benefit Access Program, you may be eligible to request a refund. Call the Secretary of State's Office at 800-252-8980 for more information.