Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) System Illinois State Archives
Woodford County Courthouse
115 N. Main
Eureka, IL 61530
309-467-2822 – County Clerk
309-467-3312 – Circuit Clerk
309-467-2822 – Recorder
Illinois State University
2016 Warehouse Rd.
Campus Box 1520
Normal, IL 61790-1520
- February 27, 1841 (Laws, 1841, p. 84)
Origin of the name of the county
- Named after Woodford County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county. Woodford County, Kentucky, was named in honor of William Woodford (1734–1780), a General from Virginia during the American Revolutionary War. He served in the French and Indian War as an ensign in Colonel George Washington's Virginia Regiment and served in the Cherokee expedition under William Byrd and Adam Stephen. Woodford was promoted to brigadier general in February 1777. He was wounded later that year at the Battle of Brandywine. In 1778 he led his brigade at the Battle of Monmouth where he took control of Comb's Hill and with artillery was able to pound the British left flank. In late 1779 he and his brigade were sent to join the Southern army, only to be captured at the Siege of Charleston in 1780. He was sent to New York, where he died on board a British prison ship later that year.
Present area, or parts of it, formerly included in
- Eastern Part
- 1831–1841 – McLean
- 1827–1831 – Tazewell
- 1821–1827 – Fayette
- 1819–1821 – Clark
- 1816–1819 – Crawford
- 1815–1816 – Edwards
- Western Part
- 1827–1841 – Tazewell
- 1825–1827 – Peoria
- 1821–1825 – Sangamon
- 1817–1821 – Bond
- 1812–1817 – Madison
- 1801–1812 – St. Clair
- 1790–1801 – Knox, Northwest Territory
- 1841–1843 – Versailles – Temporary designation.
- 1843–1894 – Metamora—Named Hanover until February 21, 1845.
- 1894–present – Eureka
History of county governing board
- 1841–1849 – County Commissioners’ Court
- 1849–1855 – County Court
- 1855–present – County Board of Supervisors
- Adopted – November 7, 1854
- Clayton and Linn were originally attached and treated as one township (date of separation unknown).
- Cruger – Formed from Olio on September 14, 1869
- El Paso – Formed from Palestine in September, 1861.
- Kansas – Formed from Palestine in September, 1859.
- Linn and Clayton were originally attached and treated as one township (date of separation unknown).
- Minonk and Panola were originally attached and treated as one township (date of separation unknown).
- Panola and Minonk were originally attached and treated as one township (date of separation unknown).
- Spring Bay