Driver Education Driver Services
Instruction Permit Requirements
- You must pay the appropriate fee, pass the vision screening and the applicable written exam for the classification you are seeking. Proper identification documents are required.
- If you are age 15-17, you must be enrolled in, or 30 days prior to active participation in, an approved driver education class.
- Your permit must be used in the behind-the-wheel portion of the driver education class when an adult instructor is sitting beside you.
- You also may practice driving with an adult who is at least age 21, has a license for the type of vehicle you are driving, and has at least one year of driving experience.
- An applicant under age 18 is issued an instruction permit valid for two years, and the permit must be held for at least nine months prior to obtaining a driver's license. An applicant age 18 and older is issued an instruction permit valid for one year.
- If you are age 17 years and 3 months or older, you may apply for a permit without taking a driver education course.
- After you have successfully completed the driver education class, you may continue practicing to drive with your instruction permit under the supervision of a responsible adult as outlined above.
- If you receive your license prior to the expiration of your instruction permit, you may not be required to pay an additional fee.