Driver's License/Identification Card Renewal Driver Services
Please note: Driver's licenses are valid until June 1, 2021. So there's no need to rush.
You must visit a Secretary of State Drivers License Facility to renew your license or ID card if:
- You wish to apply for a REAL ID driver's license or Real ID ID card.
- You want to renew an instruction permit (IP) or a commercial learner's permit (CLP).
- Your driver's license and privilege to obtain a driver's license is suspended, revoked, cancelled or refused in this or any state.
- Your Illinois ID is suspended, cancelled or refused.
- You owe a reinstatement fee. You may also visit the Driver's License Reinstatement Fee page to make payment
- You are not between the ages of 22 and 74 for driver's license renewal.
- You are not between the ages of 22 and 64 for identification card renewal.
- Your license/ID card has been expired more than one (1) year.
- You are not eligible to renew your driver's license if you participated in the Safe Driver Renewal program or this online renewal program at your last renewal.
- You have already renewed.
- You are required to submit an updated medical and/or vision report.
- You are a School Bus Permit holder.
- You hold a commercial driver's license with a HAZMAT endorsement.
- You have been prescribed corrective lenses (eyeglasses/contacts) for driving since your last renewal.
- You wish to change the classification, restrictions, legal name, date of birth, height, weight, hair color, or gender on your driver's license or ID card.
- You hold a driver's license or ID card in any other state.
- Your driver's license is being held by a court in lieu of bail.
- You are an honorably discharged U.S. veteran and wish to have that designation added to your driver's license or ID card.
- You hold a Visa Status Temporary Visitor Driver's License.
- You hold a disabled ID card or homeless ID card.
To obtain a driver's license/ID card renewal through the online process:
- You have received your renewal letter providing the PIN number required.
- Your renewal does not require a written examination.
- Your renewal does not require a road test.
- Your information you provide must match the information on your current DL/ID record.
- Only an address change will be allowed within the application process. If you wish to add a P. O. Box, you must visit a Secretary of State Facility.
- Payment must be made during the renewal process using an electronic check or Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express cards only.
- A payment processor fee will be assessed to all credit card transactions.
- The processor payment fee for echecks is being waived.
- When paying by electronic check, failure to enter the correct bank account number and routing number will result in a dishonored payment. Dishonored payments are subject to a service fee and possible penalty. Please make sure that you have sufficient funds in the account entered and that the correct banking information has been entered.
A few things about the renewal process:
- On the receipt page, you will print a temporary credential to keep with you until your driver's license or ID card is sent in the mail. Look for the "Print Temporary Credential" button at the bottom of the receipt page.
- You will be able to reprint the credential by entering your PIN and driver's license/ID card number in the web application.
- The temporary credential is offered as a PDF. For best results, the PDF should open in your browser. Please make sure your web browser or PDF software is up-to-date.
- Your driver's license or ID Card will be delivered to the address we currently have on record within 15 business days. If your license is returned by the postal service for any reason, you will be required to visit a Secretary of State Facility and present acceptable identification to obtain a driver's license or ID Card. Check the mailing status of your driver's license or ID card.
- Due to federal government system maintenance, which impacts all 50 states’ ability to issue a driver’s license, the online renewal system for driver’s licenses may on occasion be temporarily unavailable.
If you experience problems during the online application process, please call 217-782-7044 on Mon. - Fri. 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. or submit the Driver's License Contact form.
If you received a Safe Driver Renewal letter, please use Safe Driver Renewal.