Duplicate Illinois Driver’s License or ID Card Driver Services
You must visit a Secretary of State Driver's License Facility to obtain a duplicate license or ID card if:
- You wish to obtain a duplicate instruction permit or commercial learner’s permit.
- You wish to obtain a duplicate Temporary Visitor Driver’s License, Homeless Identification card or driver’s license indicating it is valid without photo and/or signature.
- Your driver’s license or ID Card expires within the next 30 days.
- You previously changed your address online or through the mail.
- You hold a driver’s license or ID Card in another state.
- You have obtain 3 duplicate driver’s licenses in the last 12 months.
- You have obtain 3 duplicate ID Cards in the last 12 months, or a total of 10 in a lifetime.
- Your driver’s license or ID Card needs to be mailed to a temporary address. A driver’s license or ID Card will not be forwarded by the US Postal Service.
- You need to make any changes to your driver’s license or ID Card.
- Your driver's license or ID Card was issued before August 1, 2016.
You are not eligible to obtain a duplicate license or ID card, including appearing in person at a Secretary of State Driver’s License facility if:
- Your driving privileges are suspended, revoked, cancelled or disqualified; or you owe a reinstatement fee.
- Your driver’s license is being held by a court in lieu of bail.
- Your ID Card is suspended, revoked or cancelled.
To Obtain a Duplicate Driver’s License/ID Card Through the Online Process:
- Your driving privileges must not be suspended, revoked, cancelled or disqualified
- You must not owe a reinstatement fee.
- Information you provide must match the information on your current DL/ID record.
- Your driver's license or ID Card was issued on or after August 1, 2016.
- You must have a valid Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express credit card.
- You will be charged a minimal processing fee.
If you experience problems using this Online Application process, please call 800-252-8980 (Illinois only) or submit the Driver's License Contact form.
Your duplicate license or ID Card will be delivered to address we currently have on record within 15 business days. If your license is returned by the postal service for any reason, you will be required to visit a Secretary of State Drivers License Facility and present acceptable identification to obtain a duplicate license or ID Card.