ILLINOIS STATE LIBRARY
Annual Library Certification Process
Library Certification Web Portal
The deadline for completing the annual online library certification is February 28.
- Library Certification Web Portal Available January 2 - February 28
In compliance with Illinois Library Laws and Rules, the certification process is required to retain library system membership, system services and eligibility for ISL-sponsored grants [23 Ill. Adm. Code 3030.200].
Examples of Illinois State Library grants include public and school library per capita grants, construction grants, as well as grants to library systems (RAILS, IHLS, and CPLS), such as delivery and resource-sharing. Libraries applying for ISL grants are required to update any new contact information on an ongoing basis.
Please note that each year during April, regional library system boards take action to remove system membership for non-compliant or non-certifying libraries. Notification of this action will then be sent to the Illinois State Library for final approval.
Membership in a Library System
Libraries that wish to join the regional library system and that meet membership criteria can be approved as regional library system members throughout the year. The member application process includes:
- Completion of a library system membership application,
- Review of the application by library system staff,
- Site visit by library system staff,
- Approval by System Board, and
- Final approval by the Illinois State Library.
Additional Information on the Library System Membership Application Process:
- Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS) Membership Application
- Illinois Heartland Library System (IHLS) Membership Criteria
- Annual Library Certification Data
- Annual Library Certification Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Annual Library Certification Timeline
For more information about the annual library certification process, please call 800-665-5576, Option 2 or email ISL_Certify@ilsos.net.