ILLINOIS STATE LIBRARY
Adult Volunteer Literacy Grant Program
Grant projects provide instruction to help adults who read below the ninth grade level or speak English at a beginning level to improve their basic reading, writing, math, or English language proficiency. Services are provided through the use of trained, unpaid volunteer tutors.
- Increased skills in reading, writing, math and/or English language.
- Increased knowledge of civic responsibilities (e.g., voting, using the public library).
- Increased ability of the volunteer tutors to provide effective adult literacy instruction.
Application and Forms
All Literacy grant applications are due March 15.
- Application Due March 15
- Financial Management Guidelines and Instructions (Adult Literacy Program Administrative Manual, p. 20)
- Grant Reviewer's Scoring Rubric
- Reporting Forms
- Instructions for Completing Fillable PDF Grant Forms
At least three letters of support are required. Submitting agencies must secure a statement (letter of support) from participating agencies detailing their significant responsibilities to the literacy project. Each letter should describe their cooperation, coordination, and services to the project and include the signatures of organization representatives.
If the submitting agency is a not-for-profit entity, attach a copy of the Internal Revenue Service Tax Ruling on Determination Letter.
Adult Volunteer Literacy grant information webinar is recommended for all Secretary of State funded Adult Volunteer Literacy grantees or any agency interested in applying for the program.
- Adult Volunteer Literacy Grant Information Webinar Recorded January 15, 2015
Eligibility and Program Requirements
Applicant Eligibility Requirements
- Eligible applicants include public libraries or adult educational agencies.
- For-profit educational entities are ineligible to apply.
Participant Eligibility Requirements
- Adults who are 17 years of age or older and not enrolled in school.
- Function below the 9th grade level or student performance level 7 in English proficiency.
- Instruction in Adult Basic Education (ABE) and/or English as a Second Language (ESL) by trained, unpaid volunteer tutors.
- At least 50 enrolled eligible program participants are required.
- Educational skills assessment for participants.
- Volunteer tutor training and volunteer tutor training management.
- GED instruction is not allowed.
- Instruction by paid teachers is not allowed.
Public funds awarded under this grant range up to $75,000, with first year grants not exceeding $25,000. Only one project is allowed. Total awards cannot exceed $180,000 per agency.
- Library and instructional materials (print and non-print)
- Supplies, postage, and printing
- Administrative and facility cost not to exceed 10% of total grant request
Costs not allowed
- Instructor’s wages
- Student or Volunteer Transportation
- Volunteer stipends
- Out-of-state travel
- Promotional items
- Background checks
For more information about Adult Volunteer Literacy grants, please call 217-785-6921 or email email@example.com.