Adult New Reader Book Club Collections Illinois State Library
What are Adult New Reader Book Clubs?
The Illinois State Library Secretary of State Literacy Office has developed book collections that are available to grantees to conduct adult new reader book clubs. Each book collection contains 20 copies of a title and a Discussion Leader Guide that contains background information about the author and book as well as discussion questions. Most titles also have an unabridged audio CD of the book. The book collections can be borrowed from the State Library for a period of time as requested by program staff.
What titles are available?
- Abraham Lincoln: Photobiography by Russell Freedman
- An Invisible Thread by Laura Schroff
- The Barrio Kings by William Kowalski
- Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
- The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka
- DK Biography: Mother Teresa by Maya Gold
- DK Biography: Nelson Mandela by Lenny Hort
- Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
- Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story by Ben Carson
- Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer
- The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
- Just Gone by William Kowalski
- Of Beetles & Angels by Mawi Asgedom
- Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
- The Other Wes Moore by Wes Moore
- Rules by Cynthia Lord
- Seedfolks by Paul Fleishman
- The Spider Bites by Medora Sale
- The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis
- The Way It Works by William Kowalski
- Three Little Words by Ashley Rhodes-Courter
- To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
How do I borrow a book club collection?
The collections are shipped in nylon mail bags through the Illinois Library Delivery System (ILDS); therefore, shipping is free for the literacy program and the State Library. First, make arrangements with your local library to receive the book collection on your behalf. Next, contact the Literacy Office at 217-785-6921 or firstname.lastname@example.org and request the book collection you wold like to borrow. Include the following in your request
- The name of the book club collection.
- Date you would like to receive it and the requested length of the loan.
- Contact person’s name and phone number at the library.
- Library name.
- Library system to send the book club collection.
How do I return a book club collection?
Via the ILDS at your library, ship the collection back to the Literacy Office within the approved loan period or request an extension prior to the due date. Repack as you received it and please replace any materials used or lost while you had the collection.