Workplace Skills Enhancement Grant Program Illinois State Library
Grant projects provide instruction at the workplace to improve the basic reading, writing, math skills or English language proficiency of employees. Services are provided through a partnership between one business and an adult educational agency.
- Increased skills in reading, writing, math and/or English language.
- Increased ability of employees to maintain employment and secure promotion.
- Improved safety and productivity at Illinois businesses.
Application and Forms
The Adult Literacy grant applications are being offered in advance of the provision of the state budget. The Illinois State Library makes these grant applications available so that award notification may be released when legislative and gubernatorial approval of the appropriation is made. Obligations to fund this grant program will cease immediately without penalty or further payment being required if the Illinois General Assembly or the federal funding source fails to appropriate or otherwise make available sufficient funds.
- Application Deadline extended to February 4, 2019. Requests of up to $20,000 will be considered.
- Financial Management Guidelines and Instructions (Adult Literacy Program Administrative Manual, p. 20)
- Grant Reviewer's Scoring Rubric
- Instructions for Completing Fillable PDF Grant Forms
- Library Data Entry Guidelines
- Reporting Forms
Participating agencies (those specifically named as either the educational partner agency or the business partner of the Workplace Skills Enhancement application and who are not the submitting agency) must provide a letter of support detailing coordination, and services to the project and include the signature of the organization’s representative. The costs donated by the business partner will be reflected in the Business Match column of the budget.
If the submitting agency is a not for profit entity, attach a copy of the Internal Revenue Service Tax Ruling on Determination Letter.
The Workplace Skills Enhancement grant information webinar is recommended for all Secretary of State funded Workplace Skills Enhancement grantees or any agency interested in applying for the program.
- Workplace Skills Enhancement Grant Information Webinar Recorded December 5, 2018.
Eligibility and Program Requirements
Applicant Eligibility Requirements
- Eligible applicants include adult educational agencies and Illinois businesses.
- Services must be provided by a partnership between and educational agency and one business.
- For-profit educational entities are ineligible to apply.
Participant Eligibility Requirements
- Employees of the participating business partner who are 17 years of age or older and not enrolled in school.
- Participants must function below the 9th grade level or student performance level 7 in English proficiency.
- Educational skills assessment.
- Curriculum development.
- Instruction in Adult Basic Education (ABE) and/or English as a Second Language (ESL) at the workplace.
- GED instruction is not allowed.
Public funds awarded under this grant range up to $20,000 and must be matched by the business partner with funds at least equal to the amount of public funds awarded. Twelve projects are allowed.
- Personnel (including instructor’s wages)
- Equipment (allowed only in the business match)
- Library and instructional materials (print and non-print)
- Supplies, postage and printing
- Administrative and facilities costs not to exceed 10% of total grant request
Costs not allowed
- Equipment paid with grant funds
- Student Transportation
- Out-of-state travel
- Promotional items
- Background checks
For more information about Workplace Skills Enhancement grants, please call 217-785-6921 or email email@example.com.