Amateur Radio License Plates Guide
Ham Radio license plates are available for amateur radio operators. The license plate number assigned is the call number assigned by the Federal Communications Commission. For law enforcement purposes, the number zero (0) is the designate.
FeesRandom-Number Amateur Radio License Plates
- Newly acquired vehicle/first-time issuance - $305 ($150 title fee + $151 registration fee + $4 Amateur Radio license plates fee)
- Currently titled vehicle/first-time issuance - $155 ($151 registration fee + $4 Amateur Radio license plates fee)
- Current plates expire within 90 days - $184 ($151 registration fee + $4 Amateur Radio license plates fee + $29 replacement fee)
- Current plates do not expire within 90 days - $33 ($4 Amateur Radio license plates fee + $29 replacement fee)
- Annual renewal - $151 ($151 registration fee)
- Upgraded FCC License - $29
- One must provide a legible photocopy of a current FCC license.
- The request can only be processed in Springfield. Apply in person or mail the proper documentation to:
Secretary of State
501 S. 2nd St.
Howlett Building, Rm. 541
Springfield, Illinois 62756
- Amateur Radio license plates are multi-year and may be displayed on passenger vehicles, trucks and vans weighing 8,000 pounds or less, sport utility vehicles and motorcycles (passenger sized plate only).
- An applicant is allowed only one set of plates.
- Not available as Vanity or Personalized
- Eligible for Benefit Access Program