Electric Vehicle License Plates Guide
Definition (625 ILCS 5/12-805): “The owner of a motor vehicle of the first division or a motor vehicle of the second division weighing 8,000 pounds or less propelled by an electric engine and not utilizing motor fuel, may register such vehicle for a fee not to exceed $35 for a 2-year registration period. The Secretary may, in his discretion, prescribe that electric vehicle registration plates be issued for an indefinite term, such term to correspond to the term of registration plates issued generally, as provided in Section 3-414.1 (625 ILCS 5/3-414.1). In no event may the registration fee for electric vehicles exceed $18 per registration year. Electric vehicle license plates are prorated and have a registration period that begins January 1st of even-numbered years and ends December 31st of odd-numbered years."
FeesRandom-Number Electric Vehicle License Plates
- Newly acquired vehicle/first-time issuance - $185 ($150 title fee + $35* registration fee for 2 years)
- Currently titled vehicle/first-time issuance - $35 ($35* registration fee for 2 years)
- Current plates expire within 90 days - $64 ($35* registration fee + $29 replacement fee)
- Current plates do not expire within 90 days - $64 ($35* registration fee +$29 replacement fee)
- Two year renewal - $35
*Two-Year Registration fees as follows:
- January 1 thru June 14 of the first year - $35 registration fee
- June 15 thru December 14 of the first year - $27 registration fee
- December 15 thru June 14 of the second year - $18 registration fee
- June 15 thru December 31 of the second year - $9 registration fee
- The following documentation must be submitted to the Secretary of State’s office along with the Affirmation for Electric Vehicle:
- — Application Vehicle Transaction (VSD 190);
- — Appropriate tax forms and fees payable to the Illinois Department of Revenue;
- — Applicable fee payable to the Secretary of State;
- — And if a converted vehicle, submit photographs of the front, back and side of the vehicle along with photographs of the electric motor and battery.
- The request can only be processed in Springfield. Mail all required documentation and the applicable fees to:
Secretary of State
Special Plates Division
501 S. Second St., Rm. 413
Springfield, Illinois 62756
- There are two types of electric vehicles: originally manufactured electric vehicle and a converted electric vehicle.
Note: for a converted vehicle, submit photographs of the front, back and side of the vehicle along with photographs of the electric motor and battery.
- Not eligible for Benefit Access Program
- Electric Vehicle license plates can be renewed by mail or visit a Secretary of State Facility.