Gold Star License Plates Guide
Any Illinois resident who is a surviving widow/widower, parent or sibling(s) of a person who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and lost his/her life while serving during peacetime or war. The surviving widow/widower, parent, daughter, son or sibling(s) may be issued one set of plates. A Gold Star Affirmation verifying receipt of the Gold Star, including the service member’s name and relationship to the applicant is required.
Standard License Plates
- Newly acquired vehicle/first-time issuance - $301 ($150 title fee + $151 registration fee)
- Currently titled vehicle/first-time issuance - $151 ($151 registration fee)
- Current plates expire within 90 days - $151 ($151 registration fee)
- Current plates do not expire within 90 days - $0
- Annual renewal - $151 ($151 registration fee)
- One must provide a Gold Star Affirmation statement attesting to receipt of the Gold Star, including the service member's name and relationship to the applicant.
- The request can only be processed in Springfield. Apply in person or mail the proper documentation to:
Secretary of State
501 S. 2nd St.
Howlett Building, Room 541
Springfield, Illinois 62756
- Gold Star license plates are multi-year and may be displayed on passenger vehicles, trucks and vans weighing 8,000 pounds or less and sport utility vehicles.
- Eligible for Benefit Access Program