Duplicate Titles Vehicle Services
When do I need a Duplicate Title
Your original title must be lost, stolen or mutilated to apply for a duplicate title.
To protect against fraud, duplicate titles are not issued within 15 days from the issuance of an original title, or 30 days from the issuance of a duplicate title.
When you are seeking to correct information on your title, and your title is not lost, stolen or mutilated, you must apply for a Corrected Title.
Fill Out Application
You must fill out the Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190).
- Check the box for Duplicate Title in the top section.
- Fill out every section which applies.
- For mobile homes, square footage must be completed.
- Sign the document.
- Write in the exact Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
- Write in the current vehicle odometer reading if applicable. Check the appropriate odometer box, i.e., actual, not actual, in excess. The application will be returned if this information is not provided.
Illinois titles are mailed to the lienholder if a lien is applied. Include the complete name and address of the lienholder on the duplicate title application. If there is no lien, the title will be mailed to the principal owner listed first on the application or to the address listed in the "Mail To" area.To Remove Lienholder:
- Submit lien clearance letter from the lienholder indicating that the lien has been paid in full; or
- Submit lien contract stating that the lien has been paid in full; or
- Submit a court order directing our office to issue the duplicate title without the lien or lienholder's name.
- Submit a court order directing the Office of the Secretary of State to issue the duplicate title without the lien or lienholder's name. The Court Order must be signed by the Judge residing over the case and/or reflect the FILED stamp of the Clerk's Office and include the year, make and vehicle identification number of the vehicle in question.
Out-of-state residents may not apply for an Illinois duplicate title if they have purchased a vehicle without a title from an Illinois resident. The out-of-state purchaser must ask the Illinois owner to apply for the duplicate title.However, if a former Illinois resident was the last valid title holder of the vehicle, a duplicate title may be applied for.
The former Illinois resident must:
- Indicate their former Illinois address in the owner's address information area on the application, and
- Include out-of-state mailing instructions in the "MAIL TO" information area.
You must submit your application, along with a fee of $95 and any pertinent documentation, to the Secretary of State's Office. Applications will be returned if the information or fee is insufficient.
Office of the Secretary of State
Vehicle Records Processing Division
501 S. 2nd. St., Room 424
Springfield, IL 62756-6666
In-person at a Secretary of State facility.
For More Information or to Request an Application Form Call toll-free in Illinois (800) 252-8980 Chicago (312) 793-1010; or Springfield (217) 782-6306.